Energy Efficient Lighting
Lighting represents 20% of your home's electricity bill and New Jersey's Clean Energy Program has information and resources to help you make smart choices when purchasing LEDs and energy efficient lighting fixtures. The EPA also offers an ENERGY STAR Lighting Guide.
About Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
An ENERGY STAR Qualified LED Bulb:
- Uses dramatically less energy (about 75-80% less energy) to produce an equivalent amount of light. For example, you could use a 10-watt LED and enjoy the same amount of light as a 60-watt incandescent.
- Has a long lifespan of 50,000 hours or more, which surpasses both the incandescent bulb and the CFL by thousands of hours.
- Is durable, so it performs well outdoors and in cold temperatures.
Efficiency in a light bulb is measured by the number of lumens per watt it provides. The number of lumens shows how bright a bulb is, and watts tell us how much energy it uses.
This chart below compares wattage for incandescent bulbs and the equivalent lumens (light output) to the wattage used by ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs and LEDs.
|Light Output Lumens||Incandescent Watts||CFL Watts||LED Watts|
|450||40||8 - 12||4 - 5|
|300 - 900||60||13 - 18||6 - 8|
|1,100 - 1,300||75 - 100||18 - 22||9 - 13|
|1,600 - 1,800||100||23 - 30||16 - 20|
|2,600 - 2,800||150||30 - 55||25 - 28|
Where to purchase energy efficient lighting:
NJCEP provides discounted lighting to New Jersey residents by supporting promotional pricing at retailers or through in-person support from the New Jersey Clean Energy Outreach Team.
- This list provides store names and locations retailers who offer NJCEP discounted ENERGY STAR qualified LEDs and lighting fixtures.
- Busineses can also achieve significant savings by upgrading their lighting. Look for incentive program details.
LEDs last a very long time, so you won't have to think about disposing of them very often. However, they should be disposed of properly, and many major retailers will recycle them for free. For safe recycling recommendations, visit recycleabulb.com.
The New Jersey Clean Energy Outreach Team
The New Jersey Clean Energy Outreach Team is a grassroots program created and funded by New Jersey's Clean Energy Program. This initiative offered ENERGY STAR qualified LEDs, lighting fixtures and other energy saving products at discounted prices, while educating residents on ways to reduce energy use and help protect the environment.