Contractors participating in New Jersey's Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® meet the certification guidelines of the Building Performance Institute (BPI), the industry's resource for building science technology that sets the standards for assessing and improving the energy performance of homes.
Interested in becoming a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR participating contractor? See the list of program orientations below.
- Contractors' companies must be designated as a Building Performance Institute (BPI) GoldStar contractor to participate in the program.
- Technicians performing the audits must also be designated as a BPI GoldStar contractor, demonstrating that they have the knowledge to test homes and make recommendations based on building science principles.
Upcoming Program Orientations: January 5, February 2 and March 2 in Iselin, NJ. Please contact Angela Burney for more details, firstname.lastname@example.org
Becoming a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Contractor
Before becoming a BPI GoldStar contractor, requirements to participate as a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR contractor must be met and include:
- Have been in business for more than one year;
- Be registered with the NJ Department of Revenue;
- Be registered with the state of NJ as a business, and hold a license/s (e.g. Home Improvement Contractor, HVAC Contractor) applicable to the work your company will perform under the Program)
- Have a $1M general liability insurance coverage;
- Have a federal tax ID number
If your company meets the minimum requirements, the first step is to submit the contractor application. Once we receive your application, we will review it for all of the requirements and necessary documentation. Upon approval, our account manager will contact you to schedule a program orientation during which we will go over the details of the program with you.
Becoming a Building Performance Institute (BPI) Certified GoldStar Contractor
In order to become a participating contractor in Home Performance with ENERGY STAR, you will be required to:
- Sign the Program's Participation Agreement
- Purchase diagnostic equipment
- Become a BPI GoldStar contractor
- Attend the training
- Take the BPI Written and Field Test
Call 866-NJSMART for more information.
Contractors are eligible for contractor production incentives for successfully completed projects, which will be explained to them when they attend orientation.
Current Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Contractors
In 2010, the Board of Public Utilities approved new procedures related to remediation of NJCEP contractor issues. Attached please find the Contractor Remediation Procedures which sets the new procedures.