Tax Clearance Certificate
New Jersey Division of Taxation
Tax Clearance Application Instructions
- A Tax Clearance Certificate is required in order to process an incentive check from New Jersey's Clean Energy Program (applies to SmartStart Prescriptive/Custom, Pay for Performance and Large Energy Users projects).
- After your approved project has been installed (or as otherwise required by the Program), please complete the Tax Certificate Application using the online portal (see below). The Tax Clearance Application must be filled out for the customer entity, not the contractor, regardless of who the incentive is assigned to.
State's Premier Business Services Portal (PBS):
ATTENTION: Effective May 2016, Tax Clearance Certificates may be requested through the State of New Jersey's Premier Business Services (PBS) portal online.
- Below is information you may need to complete the application:
- Name of Issuer Agency - New Jersey Board of Public Utilities;
- Name of Assistance Program - NJ Clean Energy Program;
- Agency Contact Person - Commercial and Industrial Program Manager
- Agency Contact Address - 900 Route 9 North, Suite 404, Woodbridge, NJ 07095
- Agency Contact Phone # - 732-855-0033
- Application Number - As assigned by the Program.
- Tax Clearance Certificates are valid for 180 days. If expired, follow the instructions via the online portal to re-issue.
- TRC Energy Services does not accept Tax Clearance Applications. All Tax Clearance Applications must be completed via the Division of Taxation online Premier Business Services Portal.
- TRC does not automatically receive a copy of the Tax Clearance Certificate. Please forward a copy to your TRC Case Manager upon receipt from the Division of Taxation.
- For questions regarding the Tax Clearance application, please contact the NJ Division of Taxation at (609)292-6400.